.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Freelancing Copywriter

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Cash and Cashiers

I was just reading some random anecdote on the net, and a cashier says - "I could lose my job if I did that."

It hit me again. Like so many times before, I started wondering about the charm a common job holds. A job which just about manages to pay the bills, a job that extracts so much sincerity out of a person that makes him or her say something like that, a job that somehow manages to bring a smile on my face if I imagine myself doing that.

Thinking about the jobs which I probably will end up doing... I am scared. The responsibility, the magnitude of decision-making involved, the fact that so many people look would look up to me, and at the same time look down upon me...

Hell, tell me how many times have you looked down upon a McDonald's cashier? And how many times have you despised an investment banker or a consultant for what they are...

I guess true acceptance in the hearts of lots of people comes at a stiff price.

Or maybe not... But then I think about the career options open in front of me... If I leave aside the cashier/engine driver/bartender jobs for practicality's sake, my favourite job would involve a marketing lifestyle with consulting perks and an investment banking paycheck.

That, and the sincerity and the societal acceptance level of a cashier.

8 Comments:

  • "..a marketing lifestyle with consulting perks and an investment banking paycheck."

    LOLZ! Dude, all this is fine, but I hope you do some work as well!!!:P

    All the best! :)

    By Blogger Mayank Jha, at 4:39 AM, August 14, 2008  

  • with mohit's funda...live life 'cat' size.
    but seriously dude if u get all this, do i like get to marry you?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:35 AM, August 14, 2008  

  • *** cat 'style' i meant :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:37 AM, August 14, 2008  

  • Heyyyyy a post by the gidlet.

    I want a rockstars life with a consultants money.

    Is that too much wishful thinking.

    By Blogger crazed_mellow, at 6:08 AM, August 14, 2008  

  • wow, nice..I would be a sport star (and you're a lucky manager for me :P )

    and KP you taking a pay cut? where do rockstars get less than consultants?

    (India you mite say)

    By Blogger Nikhil, at 8:40 AM, August 18, 2008  

  • Hey, I guess I have become a fan of yours.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:20 AM, August 19, 2008  

  • Mayank, fuck you.

    Akanksha, love you. Yes you do get to marry me and all :)

    KP, I am sure you want a rockstar's wife with a consultant's honey. I know you'd love that.

    Nikhil, now I am qualified as well to be a manager :P

    Anonymous, hi! :)

    --

    Guess I was pissed while penning this post, but now that endterms are gone, I don't have to worry about my career anymore... Not for the next 15 days atleast :P

    By Blogger Giddu, at 9:42 AM, August 19, 2008  

  • hey u replied :) so Hi! Mohit, I was going through your old posts aswell, seem quite interesting. What do you do?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:29 AM, August 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home